Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Fashola's Lagos







As the country commends the metamorphosis of Lagos, I will join many Nigerians to congratulate our innovative Raji Fashola. The irony however, is that I never thought the day would come when Lagos would be blessed with a leader like him. (at least not in my life time). Now I guess I’m eating my words and they don’t taste so good.

Truth is, many people are as guilty as I am, and I never supported Raji from the outset. I had many things against the guy; first he had to be the incumbent’s protégé and I wondered why he couldn’t speak for himself. Also, the likes of ---- and---- blew me away with the suaveness and fluency. Compared to the quite Raji who could barely be heard even above the loud speakers (or maybe it was I who wasn’t listening). Other aspirants seemed to have garnered all our attention. Their speeches inspired me to think maybe for once, Lagosians would vote right and allow the change we need.



With the results out and Raji declared as winner, I was also among the crowd that cried foul. And we waited for him to prove the enlightened, exposed and educated facet of the state right. Unfortunately, he hasn’t given us the pleasure to see him fail, at least not to my knowledge. I hate to join the bandwagon praising Fashola every single moment they get but I still cant help doffing my hat (not that I like wearing hats) to this guy I thought didn’t have the verve it takes to transform Lagos state. He seems to have a determination stronger than his critics could have imagined, or else they would have tried harder during the campaign.

What happens when you have a governor in this country who just doesn’t like using sirens? Not because he wants you to like him (yea, we all know what strategy) but because he just doesn’t like noise. Now I heard him say that and went “yeah right, Raji don’t sweet talk me puuleeze” but he proved me wrong by consistently driving through Lagos without the use of the sirens. What you get is a saner Lagos.

What do you get when a governor personally apologizes for his subject’s mistake? The navy officer that authorized the physical attack of a Miss Uzoma in Lagos recently could have been knighted for his bravery in another administration for all we care but Fashola took charge. Now, I know he isn’t superman and he is only carrying out the duties expected of a governor, but the question is “When last did we have one so responsible?” It’s almost like a luxury walking through a place like Oshodi and wondering where all the dirt went to. What happened to the heaps of nylons and the smell of feaces cross the rail way? Then you wonder why we all have to use the pedestrian bridge to get to the other side of the road (uncomfortable for people who just love running across that road right?) And before you think it’s all a façade, the armed mobile police men are on ground to remind you that Lagos must change, whether you like it or not. I must confess, this whole phase excites me like a child waiting for Christmas morning.

Talking about Christmas, have you seen the new look of Lagos this festive season? It makes you wonder if you were somewhere far from home. The fun part is that these initiatives are not as expensive as the embarrassing excuses we’ve had from our past administrators; it’s all a mind thing. If you package a five dollar ring in a beautiful case probably worth more than the ring, it’s very possible that the ring would assume a higher value to someone who isn’t aware of the cost. If Nigerians can drive through their neighborhood and have a reason to smile or even take pictures to show others, then we are on the brink of change.

Sadly though, many Nigerians are complaining. Yes, we know Rome wasn’t built in a day but these people want more action than decorations and promises of a better, brighter or rewarding future. They would rather have that future today. The truth is, we cannot change a nation without changing the people themselves. If you mount a thousand and one thrash bins on a street, I know some people who will still litter the ground with dirt. If you force people to wear helmets on bikes, I know some people who would rather hold those helmets than wear them for safety. Its all in the mind isn’t it? They give excuses such as the fear of ritualists and possibility of catching skin diseases, leprosy and even HIV from these helmets! I do not mean to disregard these fears because I also have my issues against the helmet law. Why would the FRSC enforce a law when even the Okada riders themselves are not well trained on how to drive their bikes? I am of the opinion that asides forcing people to wear safety gadgets on bikes let the bike riders be zoned accordingly and trained intensively on safety on the roads, after which they are issued with licenses allowing them to do their business. I am not an advocate for the ban of motorcycles, not because it’s not a good idea but because we still don’t have what it takes. Or how do you want people like me to get to work on time against the mad traffic?

So, I agree we have more pressing issues but our governor seems to have discovered a secret that it’s the little drops that make an ocean.


©Oluwatoyin Odewunmi
2009 Jan.

2 comments:

  1. Long and short...I promise you a Bright and Rewarding Future, Eko o ni baje!

    Seriously, you cannot change a people without first changing their mindsets. Wonderful Fashola needs wonderful Lagosians. Let's all join Fashola in providing ourselves and our children a Bright and Rewarding Future, Eko o ni baje! (a.k.a Yes we can)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol @ eko o ni baje (Yes we can) makes sense

    ReplyDelete